Once a Bridgee, Always a Bridgee.

Sep 11, 2012

Photobucket
Not even a full two weeks after I stepped off of the stage at my high school graduation, I stepped into Lewis dorm for Summer Bridge, an early-enrollment program for admitted Freshmen on the campus of UNC-Chapel Hill. Hesitant, afraid, and a little upset about how my summer would be spent, I didn't know at the time that I would become a lifelong member of one the biggest, closest, and most sincere FAMILIES on UNC's campus.

Last week, I received a phone call informing me that one of our family member's life was unjustly cut short. But I don't really think the sheer magnitude of it hit me until I attended the vigil in honor of my fellow Bridgee, Faith Hedgepeth (Summer Bridge 2010), last night.

I had the privilege of not only participating in Summer Bridge in 2006 but I also served as a counselor in '07, and head counselor from '08-'10. An experience that I would not trade for the world.

I recently read that a friendship is not characterized by two people standing face-to-face in awe of one another, but rather two people standing shoulder-to-shoulder in awe of something else--a common thread that unites and runs through the core of them both.

I pray and I do believe that Faith knew of the LOVE and adoration that her Bridge family had for her, that common bond, or thread, that we all share from merely participating in a summer program together. A thread that made us all family from the moment we stepped foot on campus. And to all my other Bridgees, whether we became close or we just share a subtle nod in passing just to say, "What's up Bridgee," I hope that you all are aware of this, as well. As you mourn the loss and celebrate the life of Faith, know that you are certainly not alone. And know that we can also stand shoulder to shoulder, in awe of a God--yet another thread, or steel cable rather--who makes no mistakes and offers comfort and healing in our times of need.

With love,
Trey Washington
Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

blog comments powered by Disqus
 
Don't watch me, w-w-watch my feet....