What is swagger?

Feb 25, 2009


So, I wore a cardigan the other day and someone approached me and said: "I see you with the fresh cardigan, trying to be fly," as if having Trey A. Washington on my birth certificate didn't make me fly from jump street, SMH.


To put it plain and simple, I was offended rather than flattered. I can't seem to wrap my mind around the fact that the clothes you wear (specifically blazers, bow ties, big bifocals with no prescription, or colorful Nik' Airs) seems to be an indication of how much "swagger" you have. I am highly opposed to this notion because there seems to be an idea that there is a certain way you have to present yourself to be considered fly. For example, anyone who is "daring" enough to wear a scarf over a tshirt is considered to have swagger, by default, because that's what everyone thinks is fly right now......WRONG, at least by my standards.


To me, having swagger is so much more than external appearance. It's more than a few tangible items, like Polo shirts or Rock & Republic denim. And it's defintely more than succumbing to a fad, because everyone else is doing it. It's the way you carry yourself, having the frame of mind that you are satisfied with you, regardless of what anyone else happens to think. It's a frame of mind that's also impenetrable--take Kanye West for instance. He is NASA fly to me, not because of what he wears, but because he has the ability to do, say, and wear whatever he wants and although he receives scrutiny...it does not seem to affect him at all.


What is "swagger" to you?

0 comments:

 
Don't watch me, w-w-watch my feet....