The Golden Rule

Jul 18, 2011

Photobucket

Sometime last week, a girl was walking through 2 set of doors, one of which was held for her by an older guy and the other by me. As she walked by she genuinely and enthusiastically said, "I just feel so special today". I don't know why that randomly popped into my head, but I'm glad it did, because it allowed me to share this lil tid-bit:

The Golden Rule of "treat others the way you want to be treated" is a common element of ALL the major World Religions. But while similar in principle, they vary slightly in practice.

Many religions take a passive approach to the Golden Rule - "Do NOT unto others what you would not like yourself". However, in Christianity, the Golden Rule takes on an active approach - "So in everything, do to others what you would have them do to you, for this sums up the Law and the Prophets" (Matthew 7:12). Meaning, think of all the things that you would like done for you (giving to those in need, volunteering your time, saying "please" and "thank you") and just DO those things for other people FIRST.

You never know what people are going through or what kind of day they are having and the smallest gestures can go a long way. Something as simple as holding a door put a smile on someones face and in turn made me feel great (obvi, if I'm talmbout it a week later). Don't get caught up in the you-gotta-do-something-for-me-in-exchange-for-a-favor way of living, because it leads to a lot of people waiting around and not much getting done! Peace!

blog comments powered by Disqus
 
Don't watch me, w-w-watch my feet....