Question du Jour - Who are you to judge?

May 11, 2011

Why is it that when Christians make a statement about the world, it is met with cries of "hypocrisy" and "holier-than-thou" judgment. However, when the world makes a statement about Christians (no matter how rash or offensive it is) they are exempt from those same labels?

Let's be clear from the jump, this post is less about religion and more about partiality and how blatantly pretentious people can be when they take it upon themselves to "call Christians out". And I know I'm not pullin' stuff because I see this happening every day on Twitter.

A few prevalent examples of this double standard can be seen in Lady Gaga and up-and-coming rapper Tyler, the Creator. Both are pretty well known for their shock-value, particularly as it relates to religion.

Photobucket
Gaga reaches like no one I have ever seen.  If she isn't dressing like a nun or swallowing rosaries, she's somewhere sporting horns on her forehead for the whole world to see. Her latest song "Judas" contains the lyrics:
"I want to love you,/but something’s pulling me away from you/Jesus is my virtue, and Judas is the demon I cling to….I’m just a holy fool,/ oh baby he’s so cruel,/ but I’m still in love with Judas, baby."
Professing her love for the man who betrayed Jesus? Aight cool. And although she released a statement saying that the song is about an ex-boyfriend, it wasn't long ago that she was on CNN spreading this fallacy: "There is no one religion that doesn't hate....be prejudiced against another racial group, or religious group, and sexual group.....and for that, I think religion is also bogus." All religions teach hate and prejudice? Nah, g.

But again, I digress. This post is not about the principles of religion but instead the lopsided view of hypocrisy and what constitutes casting judgment on people.

Photobucket

Meanwhile, Tyler raps about rape, murder, drugs and everything in between. He has built up quite a buzz and was even deemed "forward thinking" by TIME Magazine. On a track entitled "Sandwitches" off his new album Goblin, Tyler states:
Uh, f*ck church, they singin' and the sh*t ain't even worth it/ In the choir, whores and liars, scumbags and the dirt, b*tch/ You told me God was the answer/ When I ask him for sh*t, I get no answer, so God is the cancer.
Yes. The man responsible for the lyrics above talking about the God that I serve was called "forward thinking". NOT judgmental. NOT superior. NOT close-minded. But "forward thinking" which, in essence, puts him in the same category as Albert Einstein, Thomas Edison, and Booker T. Washington. Right?

So, correct me if I'm wrong because I'm just trying to get the picture straight. Christians should walk on egg shells and keep their opinions to themselves. But it's acceptable for other people to:  a) take their outlandish opinions about religion, b) sprinkle in a few isolated examples of malevolence, such as the Westboro Baptist Church incidents c) package their opinions as unmerited TRUTHS, d) spread it to the masses and they'll totally be excused. Not only will they NOT be held to the same standards as Christians, but they'll probably be praised for being fearless, artistic, eclectic, free-willed, and free-thinking.

Now som'n ain't adding up, my g. I'm confused. Y'all let me know....

blog comments powered by Disqus
 
Don't watch me, w-w-watch my feet....