Take a moment to just think about all the things that you have been blessed with and all the things that make you happy, may it be good health, opportunities for education or employment, family, Simply Lemonade...whatever!
she gives ME much joy
Now take a (hopefully shorter) moment to reflect on all the things that don't make you quite as happy. Bills, family troubles, societal issues, physical complications....
this make me
unhappy weep uncontrollably
Depending on who you are, what your background is, and your life experiences, these contrasting images may be very lopsided in one direction (mostly good) or the other (all bad). You see, we all have issues that we face on a day to day basis. More specifically, everyone has their own agenda or "rights" that they feel they are entitled to. Rights and agendas that, often times, people feel are infringed upon. There are a few examples that are really pervasive:
* Privileged people's inability to understand the problems of those in Poverty/Homelessness
* Heterosexual's discount of homosexual issues
* Natives superiority view of foreigners
* White privilege and their inability to conceptualize racial inequalities
* Society's marginalization of older adults
* Men's obliviousness to feminist ideals and perspectives
* People in good health who have lack of compassion for those with disabilities/illnesses
These are just a few examples of different problems that people face every day, b. But we live in a such a Me, Myself, and I society, that people constantly cry out for understanding of their own problems, while simultaneously disregarding the problems of others. Ain't No Love in the Heart of the City, I guess. With that said, I leave you with a few things to ponder:
1. Stop expecting people to just care about all of YOUR problems off gate. In an ideal world, maybe this would be the case, but nowadays it's just a little naive.
2. Empathy is so essential. Try exercising it every now and then. Put yourself in the shoes of someone else and try not to belittle what THEY are going through, just because you can't relate or it isn't effecting you directly.
I'm just rappin' though...