Shouts to my partner in crime, Kelz, for helping me put this shirt together. The text lists the names of the five Black men whose lives were tragically cut short. Their respective stories symbolize how our nation's criminal justice system attempts to control and suppress the Black community rather than protect, with Black males being the primary victims of covert racism and institutionalized discrimination. Get familiar with their stories:
- Emmett Till: Murdered in Mississippi in 1955 at the age of 14 after reportedly flirting with a white woman. After being acquitted of Till's kidnapping and murder, Till's killers, protected by double jeopardy, admitted to killing him in a magazine interview.
- Fred Hampton: Leader of the Illinois Black Panther Party; on December 4, 1969, at the age of 21, he was murdered in sleep as 14 police officers fired over 100 rounds into his Chicago apartment.
- Sean Bell: Killed on November 25, 2006 during an altercation with a team of both plainclothes and undercover NYPD officers the night before his wedding. The officers fired a total of 50 bullets at Sean Bell and 2 of his friends, who were wounded. The detectives were acquitted.
- Troy Davis: Convicted of murdering an off-duty police officer in Savannah, Ga. After remaining on death row for over 20 years, he was executed in September of 2011, despite definitive evidence of guilt.
- Trayvon Martin: Shot and killed in February of 2012 while walking home with a bag of Skittles and some iced tea in his hands. His killer, George Zimmerman (a neighborhood watchman) confessed to killing Trayvon who he thought "looked suspicious". He has not yet been charged with anything.
TO BE CONSIDERED FOR THE FREE T-SHIRT GIVEAWAY:
1) Go to Change.org and sign the petition to get Florida's District State's Attorney to prosecute George Zimmerman.
2) Tweet "Enter to win #iAmTrayvonMartin T-shirt from treyningday.com @Tdouble_u - http://bit.ly/GP8AbK". Your account must be unblocked for me to see it! If you don't have a Twitter, just comment below with "Enter Me" but be sure to include an email address!
The deadline to enter will be on Tuesday March 27th at
12pm EST7pm EST and the winner will be announced at 8pm. Disclaimer: I do not intend to make a profit from these shirts. They will NOT go on sale unless there's a way for me to donate the proceeds earned to the Martin family or the One organization.