The [Black] Male Privilege

Sep 24, 2011

Photobucket 
So, I had the epiphany of all epiphanies today, a light-bulb moment of sorts where a lot of things finally started making sense.

My Ah-Ha! Moment came in response to Josie's comment on the Re: Where's the Love post that I wrote a few weeks ago. Specifically, this part of her response:
"As a black men you are seeming to miss your own privilege....Please re-read [Belle's] blog post objectively, with a lens not so covered by black man privilege."
Admittedly, the sociological term "male privilege" was a foreign concept to me up until recently. Never studied it. Never even heard it mentioned  before.  (And mind you, I took quite a few sociology electives in undergrad.)

Nevertheless, it piqued my curiosity so I did some digging to find out exactly what the term meant. I found two awesome articles that laid a pretty good foundation for me.
     1. "What is male privilege?" - gives a clear, unbiased explanation of the concept.
     2. "The Black Male Privilege Checklist" - explains the concept as it relates to the black male, duh. 

For fear of omitting something important, I'll spare you the paraphrases. I DO SUGGEST READING BOTH ARTICLES IN THEIR ENTIRETY, THOUGH (especially if you're a man). I was aware of a few male priveleges, but not to this extent. Hopefully some of you will be enlightened, as well.

Sidenote: There's a common misconception that people who benefit from privilege (which is ALL of us in some form or fashion) willingly see things through rose-colored glasses. But I think this analogy explains it best: "Fish don't know they're in water. They're so surrounded by it, that it's impossible to see." I say that to say this: Be affable when giving people correction. Fortunate enough for me, I have internet access and  people like y'all who help make me aware of issues like this, but not everyone can say that. Peace!

blog comments powered by Disqus
 
Don't watch me, w-w-watch my feet....