What I Learned Today: A better understanding of Canton Jones, "In Da Club"

Feb 20, 2011


Canton Jones, "In Da Club"

When my homie sent me this song a while back, my initial reaction was:
Photobucket
SMH.

This song has caused a lot of controversy, for obvious reasons. So in an effort to find out what the intended purpose was behind the track, I searched and found this explanation by Mr. Canton Jones himself:

To be honest, I still wasn't sold. That is, until I heard a message that allowed for a better understanding of this type of gospel music. Back in the 1500s, Martin Luther, best known as "The Father of Reformation", took the melodies from popular drinking songs and...

Hit the "read more" link for the rest.
...changed them into worship songs by altering the lyrics. When people recognized those melodies, they questioned how he could do something like that, but now some of those same songs are present-day classics ("Away in a Manger" and "A Mighty Fortress is our God" to name a couple).  Also, back in the 1800s, William Booth, the founder of the Salvation Army, used the trumpet and tambourine to reach lost souls in the streets. At that time, people accused him of employing the devil's music but now those instruments can be found in the church or at gospel concerts.

Those guys, much like Canton Jones, recognized the need to reach people where they are at. The Bible says:
"I have become all things to all people so that by all possible means I might save some." - 1 Corinthians 9:22
God reaches people where they are, for example, the shepherds living out in the fields, the wise men looking upon the star of Bethlehem, or Zechariah in the temple.  Each generation needs and ushers in a fresh expression of music and as long as the lyrics are Christian, God will use it to reach all different types of people.  It's good because many people feel uncomfortable or that they are not welcomed in the church for many reasons....so God will reach them wherever they are. Ain't He good? I still ain't puttin' it on my iPod, doe.


Peace!

0 comments:

 
Don't watch me, w-w-watch my feet....