Dear Larry Drew II

Feb 5, 2011


You know, for a player who has complaints about lack of fan support, you sure don't do much to help your cause. I'm not even talking about your 3.7-to-2 assist-to-turnover ratio, or the fact that you don't spend summers training in Chapel Hill with the rest of your teammates, nor the fact that you called UNC fans "spoiled" in the newspaper. I'm not even referring to the fact that your dad has been expressing concerns with inevitable Hall of Fame coach, Roy Williams, from the moment you got here. I'm talkin' about the fact that you just up and disappeared in the middle of the night like the Phantom of the Opera....like the Baltimore Colts in '84. Honestly, what did YOU think was gonna happen? Inquiring minds would like to know.... ....... ... .
Photobucket

I've been one of your only supporters talking smack about you during every game but even I gave you the benefit of the doubt when I first heard of your untimely departure. I assumed your absence would be temporary, possibly due to family problems. However, as the plot thickened, the climax quickly revealed that you and your dad decided to up and leave, without so much as a "goodbye" text to your teammates. Honestly, at that point, I was tempted to call up my Voo Doo connect and have irritable bowel syndrome put on your whole family. It's noble of you to realize that if you aint really pissin' then you should probably get off the pot. But Larry, you left the seat up and forgot to flush the toilet, b.

Now I'm not cut from same cloth of UNC Faithful who believe that we must have blind faith in the team and gather around and sing Kumbaya when the team loses. My apple fell from the tree of folk that believe you must perform or perish. But don't question my faithfulness or call me "spoiled".  I'm the same kid, who in 5th grade, was running around Granville Towers getting player's autographs on napkins (shout out to Jason Capel and Ed Cota). Matter of fact, my sister, who graduated from UNC in 2000, brought me home a personalized autograph from Vince Carter and I hit puberty the very next day. Coincidence, Li'Larry? No nigga. The Carolina Way. So don't question whose faithful and whose not. Did you stop to think about YOUR younger fans, Larry? What example are you setting for them?

Ultimately, I’m not questioning your choice to leave. Do what is best for you. I am, however, questioning your timing. Why now? 
Why not 4 weeks ago, so you would have remained eligible to play the remainder of this season somewhere else? 
Why not 2 years ago, before you were basically given a championship ring on the back of Ty Lawson? 
Why not 3 years ago, before I wasted my breath cheering your name at Late Night With Roy?
Again, I'm not knocking you and your dad trying to better your situation, but there are ways to go about doing “what is best for you" that aren't at the expense of others. You left your teammates out to dry the week before we play Duke, my nigga?! At the end of the day, I hope that this is all just one big misunderstanding and that I don't really have to write you off as the weakest point guard in the history of Carolina basketball. And I hope that 10 years from now, when you're the Pilates coach for the Atlanta Hawks, you will able to look back on your decision and say, "I did the right thing".

From me to you with loveDeez Nuts,
Trey Dub

2 comments:

Jameil said...

From one realist to another, THANK YOU!

Anonymous said...

Trey...you are the realist dude I know for this one!!!! I agree 100....thousand....trillion percent.

~J Wil

 
Don't watch me, w-w-watch my feet....