Public Service Announcement: Keepin' up with the Joneses

Jun 20, 2010

Photobucket

Disclaimer: Excuse me for rambling.

Nowadays, any deviation from the norm is frowned upon. Everyone has to be the same. It's never became more apparent than after I got a Twitter account and realized how similar people are.

In order to be a true fan of music, your favorite rapper has to be Lupe. You must swear by Common, Talib Kweli, and Mos Def. You must constantly pay homage to the Fat Boys, EPMD, Whodini, Eric B. and Rakim. Admire the past, with subtle mentions of Lauryn Hill. Denounce anything with bass, for the ability to dance to a track invalidates it's credibility. All the while appreciating the "alternative" sounds of Peter Bjorn, Maroon 5, and Gavin Degraw.

In order to be a true Sneakerhead, you must be a slave to the Jumpman sign. Recite release dates like versus from the Holy Bible. Run out and buy every Retro, some twice, just to keep a pair on ice. Frown on Saucony, Puma, Reebok, Converse. Shoot, just about anything that's affordable, because price is indicative of appearance. And if 27,000 other people aren't wearing exactly what you have, then it mustn't be fly. Right?

In order to be "open-minded", your explicit attitude toward homosexuality must be unprejudiced; all the while your implicit beliefs regarding institutionalized racism, universal healthcare and poverty can be anything but impartial. Just as long as you aren't opposed to gay marriage rights, who the heck cares if you're completely dismissive of religious people because faith makes them narrow-minded. Oh, and blow dro, 'cause nothing elevates your intellect like a blunt of that exotic.

In order to be different, you must be a carbon copy of everyone else, but in your own right. Dress eclectic, because thrifting was created, cultivated, and sustained by the nonconformist. Join a group like everyone else but emphasize how you haven't changed "like everyone else". Praise Lady Gaga. Condemn Nicki Minaj, for she's a little TOO different.

I just don't get it. The more time I spend on Twitter, the more it dawns on me that people want others to be exactly like them. Arguing your opinion is only okay if it's the same as everyone else's. Music, fashion, public issues...everyone has to be on one accord, or else. Just let people live already! And truth be told, you aren't as different as you think you are.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

This post is on point! Why does everything have to be so categorized? People should just be themselves if anyone doesn't like it, f*ck 'em.

Anonymous said...

Wow. I couldn't agree more. You've got a fantastic way with words. I'm gonna post a link to this on my blog. Great stuff, man.

Anonymous said...

this is amazing... I saw your FB too and had to take a quote from your about me for my site haha. I'm gonna put you on my blogroll, I really enjoy what I've seen. My site's www.scrillkosby.com , but it's like a pseudonym so you can catch me on facebook.com/scrill. Preciate it bruh

 
Don't watch me, w-w-watch my feet....