LIKE FATHER, LIKE SON part 2

Oct 3, 2009

Photobucket

First off, this isn't a sob story, but I've been thinkin' about this situation lately, so, why not blog about it? Anywho, I was listening to a track on J. Cole's mixtape and a line just reached out and GRABBED ME all of a sudden.

How you gon' look in yo' son's face and turn yo' back? Then go start another family, dawg, what type of s**t is that?" ("Lights Please" off The Warm Up)

Has that ever happened to you? You heard a line in a song and did a double-take like, was he/she talkin' to ME directly? Yeah, well...that lyric got me thinkin' about my pops and all, but oddly enough it wasn't in a negative light as it so often times is. Reason being, he has put more effort into building a relationship with me and my lil brother in the past 3 months than he has in YEARS. He lives in Florida and I'm in NC, so we never see each other. But lately, he has been calling every 2 weeks or so to send money or whatnot, and while it's all good to have some extra gwop in my pocket...I look forward to the phone calls more than anything else.

I guess as you get older, you realize that you can make the choice of either holding a grudge the rest of your life and eliminating any chance of building a relationship with someone OR you can let go of whatever has you bound and just move on from there. Well, I'm choosin' to keep it movin' in hopes that me and my dad can somehow make up for lost time. But it sure isn't easy....

4 comments:

Eury said...

Nicki Minaj "Still I rise"-- well that's the most recent song I've listened to && the lyrics kinda caught me.

Glad to hear about ur dad, mine should follow suit... ::wishful thinking::

deonna said...

I feel this post so much. My dad and I are kind of going through the same thing, the whole trying to make up for lost time thing. It really is difficult and I often find myself holding back because of the past. I'm glad I'm not the only one feeling this way.

-D

Dub said...

shoot, im glad to hear someone else can relate.
a lot of people shrug it off cause its mad common, but it still sucks to have to deal wit'

Anonymous said...

The sad thing is that the situation is mad common. But don't get it twisted there are kids with parents that didn't walk out on them that still have complicated relationships. I guess it's just a part of life and learning how to handle when people let you down.

 
Don't watch me, w-w-watch my feet....