Reading for Leisure

Aug 23, 2010

During this year off from full-time studies, I'll be taking a few online courses and studying for the GRE. This is light work compared to how my undergraduate schedule was so I'm also searching for full-time employment, too, just so I don't go crazy with all this free time on my hands.

Nevertheless, for the first time in a long time, I'll have enough time to read a few books for leisure instead of being forced to do so. I was casing the bookstore the other day for some good reads and these three books jumped out at me. I'm just not sure which one to read first:

1. "The Color of Water" by James McBride

Edge: I just discovered recently at a family reunion that my cousin wrote this book, and I'm intrigued to find out if it is as good as people say it is.
Photobucket

2. "The Black Male Handbook: A Blueprint for Life" by Kevin Powell
Edge: I read the first few pages of it while I was in the book store and it seemed like an amazing book. According to Powell, one of the first steps in becoming a man is establishing a firm relationship with Christ. So, I'm interested in what more he has to say.
Photobucket

3. "Losing My Cool" by Thomas Chatterton Williams
Edge: I read the back cover of this book to gain some understanding of what it would be about and it left me confused. Oddly enough, it made me want to read it that much more.
Photobucket
Suggestions? Any of you read any of these by chance?

1 comments:

MizLittlej said...

I loved The Color of Water. I read it my senior year of college on the advice of my internship director and it has stayed with me all of these years. I plan to suggest it to my book club soon .

Enjoy Mr. Washington!

 
Don't watch me, w-w-watch my feet....